Content Updated on September 28, 2023
In Tulsa, OK, the typical lifespan of asphalt shingles ranges from 10 to 15 years, depending on quality and maintenance. As a full-service residential and commercial roofing contractor, Arrowhead Roofing understands the importance of slowing down the natural aging process of asphalt shingles to extend their lifespan. In this blog post, we will explore the causes of aging in asphalt shingle roofs, its effects, and proactive steps you can take to maintain your roof for longer through proper maintenance and ventilation.
Understanding Aging in Asphalt Shingle Roofs
Asphalt shingles age due to the repeated expansion and contraction they experience in response to temperature changes and exposure to UV rays. Over time, this process causes the granules on top of the shingles to slowly wear away, leaving them vulnerable to extreme weather conditions and general wear and tear.
The Effects of Aging on Asphalt Shingle Roofs
Asphalt shingles that age and become brittle are more susceptible to cracking and leaks during heavy winds and rain. They may also begin to sag and curl at the edges, creating entry points for moisture into your home’s structure underneath the roof deck. Additionally, exposed asphalt can increase indoor temperatures during summer, making proper maintenance crucial for comfort and energy efficiency.
Proactive Strategies to Slow Down Aging
To slow down the aging of asphalt shingles and extend their lifespan, consider implementing the following proactive measures:
- Regular Roof Inspections: Conduct regular roof inspections to detect signs of aging or damage early on. Addressing issues promptly can prevent further deterioration.
- Periodic Cleaning: Occasionally clean your roof using a simple brush and water to remove debris and maintain its appearance. Avoid using high-pressure water, as it can damage the shingles.
- Storm Damage Repairs: Replace damaged shingles promptly after storms to prevent water infiltration and further deterioration.
- Proper Flashing Caulking: Ensure that caulking is applied around flashings on your roof to create a watertight seal and prevent moisture from seeping underneath the shingles.
- Quality Materials: Invest in high-quality asphalt shingles with weather-resistant features. Quality shingles last longer and offer better protection than budget brands with lower-grade materials.
- Professional Installation: Hire experienced professionals, like those at Arrowhead Roofing, for proper shingle installation and to ensure sealant is applied correctly between each row of shingles to prevent water penetration.
- Proper Ventilation: Install a sound ventilation system on your roof to prevent rapid expansion and contraction of the shingles due to temperature differences.
Ensuring the Longevity of Your Asphalt Shingle Roof
Taking proactive steps to slow down the aging process of asphalt shingle roofs is essential for extending their lifespan and protecting your home in Tulsa, OK. Arrowhead Roofing, with our expertise in residential and commercial roofing, can assist you in maintaining and prolonging the life of your roof through proper maintenance and professional services. Contact us today.